Quora Question: What is the best musical instrument to learn first as a child if you intend to master multiple instruments?


Here’s what I advised my sister (3 kids) and my brother (2 kids): start them out on piano with the Suzuki method. That method teaches ear training, and learning to play music by ear before reading it. After a couple years of that, depending on what kind of music is supported by the school system (orchestra is very rare - only the top towns in MA have orchestras), band is most common, clarinet. If you are lucky to have an orchestra in the school system, then violin. Find a reputable teacher in your area who is actively engaged in the community. Check the local community orchestra for one. They don’t pay very well, so these people teach as a sideline.

I used to be more active on Quora.  I started a profile there soon after it was first publicized, in 2011.  It was a lot of fun, much like Yahoo Questions, which is now defunct.  Then they changed the format making it harder to engage, and I just stopped.  Now I go on there if I have something specific to share.

#children #musicalinstrument #band #orchestra #piano #clarinet #violin